The lab retriever club we're part of had one of their meetings this evening where one of the members (who happens to be an attorney) talked about some of the legal issues involved in owning a dog. Found out about a couple of interesting SC laws relating to dogs. For example:
- Stealing an identifiable dog (identifiable via tag or tatoo) is a misdemeanor. Stealing a cat isn't.
- Abandoning a dog is illegal in SC. Abandoning a hunting dog isn't.
- If your dog bites someone, you're liable, even if:
- the person that got bit jumped the fence into your yard to mess with your dog.
- someone let the dog out either by accident or on purpose
There were other things mentioned, but those were the ones that stuck in my head the most.