I think I've found a solution to the performance problem with Contacts I've been having.
After doing some research and seeing some posts from Droid users complaining about similar issues, I removed Facebook and Twitter accounts in MotoBlur. Once they were gone, Contacts was fast and usable again!
Added my Twitter account back, and Contacts slowed down a little bit, but still functional.
Now to watch and see if it stays like this.
On another note, the much awaited Pimlical for Android is out! Sadly it requires Android 2.2 (Froyo) and I only have 2.1 on my Cliq. Signs are that the Cliq is going to be stuck there, so I'll either have to get a new phone or root mine (although Froyo on the Cliq still appears to be up in the air).